Fairbanks Weather

Click for Fairbanks, Alaska Forecast

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Basic Whole Wheat Bread


I’m always looking for easy ways to get homemade food on the table easily and quickly after work.  One of my favorite ways to make a simple plate of pasta and salad seem special, is to serve it with a nice warm slice of homemade whole wheat bread.    I have a Zojirushi bread maker, that I honestly don’t use as often as I should.  It really is simple to throw together a few ingredients in the morning, set the timer  ahead to have the bread finished at dinnertime, it mixes, kneads, rises and bakes all while I’m at work.  

One of my favorite recipes is a very simple whole wheat recipe

1 ½ cups water
3 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
½ tablespoon salt
½ tablespoon sugar
½ tablespoon instant dry yeast

When setting your bread maker to start at a later time, be sure to keep the salt and yeast apart, and keep the yeast dry.  I first put in the water, sweetener, salt, and if the recipe calls for it fat into the water.  Then add the flour, and make a little well in the center and put in the dry yeast.  Doubling the recipe makes a nice 2 loaf recipe you can bake in your oven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment