Fairbanks Weather

Click for Fairbanks, Alaska Forecast

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

BBQ sauce recipe

In my quest to feed my family "real food", there are some things that I don't find to be practical to purchase at the grocery store, and prefer to make it myself.  BBQ sauce is one of them.  Either I can buy in bulk HFCS laced chemicals, or I can buy a cute little jar of organic, for a very large price, that my family eats in one sitting.  The following recipe is one I adapted for my purposes from several different ones on the internet. I use a lot of organic items, but any non-organic work too.

32 oz tomato sauce (I use POM brand strained tomatoes, no BPA in packaging)
1 1/4 cups organic cane sugar
1 1/4 cups organic apple cider
1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon hot paprika or cayanne pepper
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
4 tsp liquid smoke

Simmer until starts to thicken, about 40-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Recipe makes about 6-8 cups.  I store it in a large recycled ketchup bottle with a squeeze top.  It stores for a long time in the fridge.

1 comment:

  1. That looks like a really yummy bbq sauce. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete